The Painted Lady

One of my favorite stores is in Chicago is the Painted Lady.  They have a fabulous selection of unique pieces.  Every time I am in the area I try to make a stop and have a good drool over all of the pretty!  The thing I love about the store is that it is very down to earth and there is definitely something in every ones price range.   I have bought a beautiful old dresser and a little cabinet that I am using as a night stand.  The owner, Beth Brace finds these treasures and gives them new life with some paint.  And the great thing about it is she is quite careful in selecting these old jewels, making sure they are still sturdy and of good quality for her customers.  Every time I’ve stopped in Beth has been more than helpful and has so nice to answer a lot of my painting technique questions.  In fact she was kind of enough to give me some specifics to pass a long to all of you.  I have been messing around all summer with paint and it is definitely a trial and error process so I am very excited to share a few tips that are sure to alleviate some frustration and put you on the right track!
Here are Beth’s tips for for giving furniture the aged and distressed look:
*Lightly sand if furniture is glossy finish
*Get a good primer and apply 1-2 coats and let it dry
*Apply 2-3 coats of latex paint in the color of your choice
*use a foam brush (wooden handle, about 4 inches wide) as this leaves fewer brush marks
*Instead of using regular sandpaper buy a small hand sander & use with a 60 grade sandpaper.    This makes the job go a lot faster and gives it better look
*If you are repainting frames with a lot of detail it is always better to go with spray paint and a high gloss white is gorgeous!
If you are ever in Chicago you will want to visit this lovely store!

• Melissa Lewis
    Commented on November 4th, 2008 at 3:38pm

This store looks fabulous. I would stay in there for hours:)

• Sara
    Commented on November 4th, 2008 at 5:27pm

This is a great post for two reasons:

1.) I live in Chicago and this store is not that far from me, so I’ll definitely check it out!

2.) I picked up supplies over the weekend to crackle paint a couple of pieces, so these tips are timely and will be very useful. Thanks!

Also, you inspired me to start a “pretty” blog of my own to organize my thoughts about things I’d like to do in my home (we have a 100+ year old “fixer upper!”). Thanks for the inspiration! (www.prettypleasantandpractical.blogspot.com).

Sara

• Sara
    Commented on November 4th, 2008 at 5:29pm

This is a great post for two reasons:

Sara

• Miss Kris
    Commented on November 4th, 2008 at 9:17pm

Hi Trina!

Your blog is Lovely!:o) This store is wonderful only been once and I will make another trip soon! I can not wait to see what you post next!

~Miss Kris~

• la la Lovely
    Commented on November 4th, 2008 at 10:59pm

Melissa- Everytime I go I stay way to long just looking at the same things over and over – ha!

Sara- so glad you started a blog! How fun!

Miss Kris- So nice to have you stop by! Thank you for the kind comments!

• SHILL
    Commented on November 5th, 2008 at 1:20am

what a darling shop!!! and great tips ;) thanx!!!

• drooz studio
    Commented on November 5th, 2008 at 7:41am

beautiful!!! this store is in my old neighborhood… I wish i was still there to visit! thanks fro sharing.. Shell

• Catherine
    Commented on November 5th, 2008 at 8:20am

This shop looks wonderful…I am going to put it on the list of “stops” next time I am in the Chicago area.

Great blog!