Bunk Beds

Torry Burch’s son’s room via ABT

Ikea bunk beds that have been painted : Ohdeedoh

My 3 year old really needs a big boy bed.  I am considering bunk beds and even thinking about putting him and his sister (almost 6) together in a room.  Just in case there might be another baby in the near future.  And I think sharing a room for a bit of time always builds some character :)

I’m not quite sure how to decorate a  girl & boy room.  And I haven’t found any bunk beds I’m totally sold on.  Any ideas or images any of you have seen around for either bunk beds or boy/girl combined rooms?  Or even just boy rooms in general (should I falter on the shared room option).

• Michelle Parks McCourt
    Commented on January 8th, 2009 at 11:46am

What fun and functional rooms.

• Kristin
    Commented on January 8th, 2009 at 12:36pm

I am absolutely for sharing a room. You know we all had to do it growing up. I think it really emphasizes the fact that this is not YOUR space, it is our FAMILY space, so get over it! :) I don’t really buy into the idea that everyone should have their own personal room. You sleep there. Big deal.

• paula
    Commented on January 8th, 2009 at 2:07pm

i keep on going back and forth with the same issue just because i have a boy and girl too. 2 girls or 2 boys no doubt, but i just can not decide. i would love a play room though. I do love that last image though.

• Chris
    Commented on January 8th, 2009 at 7:51pm

I love bunk beds! I always used to make tents out of the lower bunk and pretend it was a little hut or something. The pix you found are great, too.

• Callie Grayson
    Commented on January 8th, 2009 at 8:25pm

i agree, same room for a bit builds character. Let me think about how you’d combine the room over the weekend and I will try and send you some idea’s… i may email with a few questions.
    callie

• K. Sundari
    Commented on January 9th, 2009 at 1:40am

I had my own little girl room, and then I had to move in to the same room as my little brother. I didn’t mind. We had years of fun with sleepovers, tents, swapping, arguing over the top/bottom, and it went on. It has made me closer to him than any of my other siblings. It’s great. We didn’t mind too much about defining whether it was a girl or boy room (although I did miss my pink girly room) but the beautiful neutral colours used were great. You only really need your own space when you hit your teen years.

• paula
    Commented on January 9th, 2009 at 9:15am

oh, you may have already seen these, but check it out if you haven’t! http://blackeiffel.blogspot.com/2009/01/childrens-rooms-favorites.html

• Room design studio
    Commented on January 9th, 2009 at 10:31am

I never liked bunk beds before ..this had totally changed my mind about them!!

• Julia
    Commented on January 9th, 2009 at 11:23am

I love this idea! I thoroughly believe in the idea of kids sharing a room–it builds great character!

• Things That Inspire
    Commented on January 10th, 2009 at 2:18pm

We got bunk beds that can be used either as two twin beds or as bunks…it is just a matter of switching the posts on the headboards and footboards around. My two youngest share a room (which has been wonderful for their relationship, although the older one is ready for her own room!), and for a while they would have bunks for 6 months, twin beds for 6 months.

I got the beds from a North Carolina furniture store…had done research at a local store.

I have also purchased kids furniture from Ethan Allen and have been happy.

• belinda graham
    Commented on January 12th, 2009 at 6:02am

I’m in the process of redecorating my son’s room to make way for his sister who will be joining him soon. Trouble is, he is just two, she is 7 months and it is a NIGHTMARE getting them to sleep in separate rooms, let alone in the same one – they just wake each other up. have decided they’re too young )several failed attempts!) and will keep layla in our room for a bit longer. i love the idea of them sharing – i had a ball with my two sisters in one bedroom (we used the other as a playroom) but i think the key will be getting them to share at the right age. And mine aren’t there yet, unfort!
    As for decorating inspiration – there’s not too much out there for boy/girl rooms so I’m adapting other inspirations and going for colours like grey, yellow, purple that also look good with doses of pink and blue. Am having fun checking out a mix of fabrics that will work. it’s a fun challenge! x

• fabulousfinishes
    Commented on January 14th, 2009 at 12:24am

love that quad bunkbed! And the last photo, with the muted grey cement tones.

• Project Ecoart
    Commented on January 20th, 2009 at 1:57pm

This was one of my fave rooms…great find!
    The whole house was great actually…
    This actually works great for teens too!

• Jennifer
    Commented on January 27th, 2009 at 9:42pm

i like the room&board steel loft bunk beds, especially for little ones because they are low. the bottom bunk is on casters so you can turn out for normal use but tuck away for play.