Monday Mess . My Bookshelves

More mess from my house (trust me…it abounds a plenty).  We just put a fresh coat of white paint on our bedroom floors which meant we moved everything out of the room temporarily.  In my mind, I thought it would be a great reason to purge a few things or just reorganize the bookshelf.  All of the books were moved to the misters office and after 2 weeks he told me that they must be returned to the shelves in our room (I was actually kind of enjoying looking at empty shelves).  So, I brought them back and this is what is happening . . .

I don’t want to make anything look pretty until I purge a bit (I dunno, like maybe the shopaholic books below).  But here is something you should know about me (that I hope will make some of you feel better about you…that is, if you are a lot like me), this formation, or shall I call it what it is… messy pile(s), of books, will likely stay like this for a week or two until I cannot stand it or am forced to fix it for company or something of the like.

If you are looking to organize your bookshelves like me than I love these ideas:

1.  nothing but books
2.  color coding books
3.  all books horizontal
4.  groupings (books, magazines, items, etc)
5.  backwards to keep it basic
6.  anything goes

I do love studying how people organize there shelves.  In fact, I have a whole Pinterest board called Shelve It.  I’m just sometimes bad at the follow through in my own home.

– – – –

And what about you lovelies?  Are your bookshelves beautifully styled or pitifully piled?  Are you bookshelves for books or for your favorite objects?  And which style above (be sure to click on the links to see the images) would you say best describes your bookshelf style?  I have had the backwards books going on for quite sometime, but overall, I’m more of an anything goes bookshelf kind of girl but I’m looking to try the nothing but books look next.

• Callie Grayson
    Commented on October 15th, 2012 at 8:29am

Depends on which room you are in in my house, deferent bookcase styles in reach room.
    Random and backwards in the living room with other items. Organizes by subject in the guest bedroom. And piles of reading and inspiration in the master bedroom and kitchen cookbooks organized by favorites and size neatly shelved.
    Xx
    Callie

• Annetta Bosakova
    Commented on October 15th, 2012 at 9:23am

I’m loving your little book mess there. Cute bookshelf too! Thanks for the tips.

• Brandi
    Commented on October 15th, 2012 at 10:47am

People with books are the best people. And I honestly am a huge fan of messy bookshelves — it gives the feeling like the books are being read and moved around and ideas are being exchanged. Personally, I have my books organized by subject matter, then by height, with books by the same author grouped together. That’s the crazy organizer in me.

• Trina
    Commented on October 15th, 2012 at 10:55am

I think you are right about the messy bookshelves…I’m going to count myself as an interesting person:) And holy organizer…can you come to my house? Hope you are well, friend! xo . t

• Heather
    Commented on October 15th, 2012 at 12:12pm

I have watched trends in bookcase styling with interest, and have half-written many posts, but then I get mad. Which, I mean, whatever. I think bookshelves should primarily house books. Books you have read or plan to read, not prop books. I like them grouped: art books, home decor books, classic novels, modern novels, memoir, short story collections, poetry, how to, essays, travel, etc. While I can appreciate a pretty bookshelf, for me they just have to be functional first!

• bonnie
    Commented on October 16th, 2012 at 7:01am

I like grouping books by subject but I like the look of colour coding. Sorry but I never understood the backwards thing except for when a friend did it because her dog would chew the bindings off if she hadn’t turned the books around!
    I love your bookshelf and I hope you post a pic of the final result.

• Amanda Lenhardt
    Commented on October 21st, 2012 at 10:49pm

It’s so nice to see how I’m not the only one with piles of things around the home. Our bookshelf has been over flowing at the moment and looks a little like this. Your humaness is beautiful and it’s nice to find a blog that doesn’t only show the perfect :)

• Trina
    Commented on October 21st, 2012 at 10:58pm

Thanks, Amanda. 100% human here and always looking for the beauty in the everyday….so glad to here your shelves look a bit like mine too ;) xo . t

• Amanda Lenhardt
    Commented on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:09pm

@Amanda Lenhardt, I think blogging helps me find beauty in the everyday. <3

• How2home
    Commented on October 22nd, 2012 at 9:29am

Love this series! Makes me feel much better about our own house! I know for sure my bookcase looks about the same as yours right now.