christmas is for kids, yes? for a couple of years i’ve felt in the middle of it. i refuse to totally grow up, which basically means i’m dedicated to using my imagination. yet, i feel like i have grown up a lot these past couple of years, mostly in ways i thought i’d never have to. in my journey to stay forever young, i sometimes look to christmas as a free pass back to childhood. anyone else?
well, yesterday, with two toddlers (and a gommy) in tow i went the mall (not sure when i will realize this is not a bright idea). we hadn’t planned to see santa but we did. after a long line and being told no photos with your iPhone, i got lost in the moment. and, that is exactly what it was . . . a moment. a fleeting piece of time that is gone just as fast as it came. but, i was in it. i didn’t capture santa and the boys on instagram, but i did capture rocco’s big blue eyes growing even bigger. and, i recorded, in my mind, exactly, the way he said, “santa.” i scribbled on my heart liam’s christmas list, spoken in munchkin, which consisted of shoes and and a stuffed animal reindeer. just as quickly, i jotted down how rocco immediately followed liam’s lead and requested shoes too (i think the whole shoes thing is hilarious). it wasn’t all magic. there was hitting, there was crying and there was full out melt downs (almost including me). but, it was all mine. the thing is, somewhere between the crying (over not buying my 4 year old jeans at abercrombie – yes, seriously), and the magical moments with santa, i think i may have dropped my ticket to the north pole. i’m just along for the ride now. and i’ll happily accompany my littles.
if you are looking for a few, non- toys r us, ideas for your littles this christmas here are my favorites :
1. mizy.me do/ such a sweet little handmade doll.
3. shrinky dinks charms + trinkets craft kit / did anyone else love shrinky dinks as much as i did (ahem, do)? fun for all ages and the designs on this set are super rad to boot.
4. inflatable tiger head / i might be ordering 3 of these.
6. whale puzzle / puzzles are always fun, especially when they form a pretty blue whale.
7. iggy peck architect / we always do a book for each child. this is my fave book to recommend.
8. scottish terrier tic-tac-toe / you’ll never want to use x’s and o’s again.
9. unicorn slippers / i don’t know what to say except someone buy these!
more of my fave toys for littles here.