wear it * nail polish

nail-polish-via-la-la-lovely

let’s talk polish.  do you wear it regularly?

i have a habit of pinning pretty polishes and manicures that never make it to my fingertips.  i feel pretty good about my hands if my nails are not all jaggety (is that a word?).  i tend to save manicures for special occasions like parties and trips and when i do, rarely, paint my own nails its always a nude shade because its so forgiving when it chips.  when i splurge on a mani i opt for no chips because they last longer.  however, once my two weeks are up, i loathe the no chip because it takes a good month for my nails to recover (can i get a witness?).   contrary to the portrait that my nail polish supply (above) portrays, i just don’t bother when it comes to painting my nails.

however, this all changed after a beauty expert friend of mine suggested i try vinylux by cnd.  no base coat necessary, it dries in 8 minutes and lasts a week (more here).  i thought this product was certainly worth a try.  i’ve been painting my nails weekly, friends, which means it does dry fast and lasts.  i painted my nails, sat in bed, watched a tv show and went to sleep (no sheet marks) and the polish lasted right up to a week with a few minor chips at the tips of my nail (you can keep applying a top coat throughout the week – which i didn’t do).  it’s a game changer as far as i’m concerned.

as for colors, i’m loving:  svelte suede / rubble / impossibly plush / romantique / forbidden fall

ok, i’m off to paint my nails – – seriously!

read about more beauty products that i love here.

image /  la la lovely instagram

• Mary
    Commented on January 29th, 2014 at 10:32am

I play guitar, so doing anything to my nails – where there is of them – really doesn’t make sense. That’s one downside to the guitar….calloused ugly hands! It’s worth it, though, to me. I do love doing my toes, though, especially in the summertime when more people besides me and the rest of my yoga class can actually see them. :-)

• Trina
    Commented on January 30th, 2014 at 10:55am

playing guitar would totally be worth it! and ahh, pedicures and sandals sounds pretty divine to me.

xo . t

• PJ from Bunny & Dolly
    Commented on January 29th, 2014 at 1:39pm

So the Vinylux doesn’t damage your nails like other gel polish? I’m defiintely intrigued! I hardly ever get regular salon manicures because they tend to chip so quickly — what a waste of money. Plus, I’ve discovered my own DIY long-lasting mani. I linked to the blog post in my name with the products I use!

• Trina
    Commented on January 30th, 2014 at 10:54am

not that i can, after applying for 3 weeks (just don’t pick it off – – see my other comments). i’m def checking out your diy mani. that is the part i totally stink at. xo . t

• Nancie Nelson Bartly
    Commented on January 29th, 2014 at 1:58pm

And it doesn’t ruin your nails when you take it off? That’s what I hate about the “Shellac” polishes. They last great but it takes your nails months to recover. And acrylics are just “no”.
    If this stuff doesn’t kill your nails then I am on board. Love to have my nails polished but regular polish seriously will not last ONE day on me.

• Trina
    Commented on January 30th, 2014 at 10:53am

it doesn’t ruin your nails when you take it off …not that i’ve noticed in the 3 weeks i’ve been applying. but, i did notice that if you pick it off it does kind of pull off a bit like a no chip…so just don’t pick…with remover it comes of with a swipe just like regular polish. xo . t

• Sherry
    Commented on January 29th, 2014 at 2:41pm

What a timely post for me. Just like you I never bothered painting my finger nails. Took too long to dry and within the day, they would be chipping. I have a friend who was really turned on by the “gel” nails so I did a little research. I didn’t want something that required I soak my finger tips in God knows what to remove the polish nor did I want to use UV light. I found a product called Dazzle Dry (could only get on the internet) and gave it a try. It’s vegan and free of the nasty chemicals found in most polishes. You do need to use their base coat and top coat, but I have found Butter polishes work perfectly along side. It dries just like the CND stuff and removes easily. I’ve had painted nails for weeks now too! Just giving another option…

PS: Butter has come out with their version of a “gel” nail but it’s very pricey.

• Sherry
    Commented on January 29th, 2014 at 4:12pm

@Sherry, And I should mention, I am experimenting with different polishes (I only bought Butter because I had a coupon :). I’m not a fan of buying expensive polishes. I think it’s just the base & top coat that matter for the polish to last.

• Trina
    Commented on January 30th, 2014 at 10:52am

love butter and i’ll def have to look into dazzle dry – thanks for letting me know.

* i should also say that i don’t recommend picking off this vinylux polish….i picked a little and it looked a little like when you pick a no chip (only not as bad). likely, because it adheres to the nail….however, unlike the no chip it comes right off with remover, like regular nail polish. so there is no need to pick.

xo .t