rituals + routines

rituals+routines_la-la-lovely

school starts today.  i’ve been dragging my feet.  it’s transition really.  yesterday, i was thinking about, and wondering, why i don’t fare well with it.  i’m always fine a few weeks in.  but, the process of new routine is always sticky for me.  and, the only sticky i care for is sticky fingers after a cinnabonn.

i love routines.   and rituals, i’m even more fond of.  it’s just when they change or i can’t keep up with them that i get a little bothered.  and, the truth is, i’ve been a little bothered these days because i haven’t been keeping a few of my necessary rituals.  things that should be routine.  i have been religious about walking 30 minutes a day for over 5 years and somehow since last winter, i walked away from the walking.  frankly, i’ve walked away from regular routines and things that should be routine.  anyone else?  i’ve almost been a bit paralyzed in putting a strict routine together because i know me and i know that i get a little upset if i can’t keep my own self imposed demands, i mean my routine.

then i’m reminded that the things that i need to make routine, are simply self care. and in caring for myself (gosh that sounds selfish – i know it’s not) i need to be kind to myself.  kind by way of doing but also kind in the way i respond when i might not get the doing done that day.

currently, i’m stuck on the idea rituals.  i’m wondering if you have any daily rituals . . . that, well, have become routine?  i think the difference may be in the doing.  rituals, at least for me, have come about from enjoyment.   an enjoyment that finds itself turning into a happy little habit or necessary part of your day and, dare i say, routine.

for me . . .

washing my face before bed was a chore and, honestly, i probably did it twice a week (gasp, i know).  and then, the right products reached my hands, and i now look forward to washing my face every night.   it’s not a have to, it’s a want to.  really.

i’ve found at night my ritual has become :

washing my face with vitamin b (it’s like aromatherapy too) + slathering on this + this

making a cup of tea + taking a melatonin

reading

i just do this every night.  and i like doing this.  but i also like to make a snack (of pretzels and cheese and chocolate,  in case you are curious) and i’m thinking i probably should nix that part.  in fact, maybe trade the snack for stretching (but, i’ll keep the piece of dark chocolate.  lets just be honest about that).

it’s my mornings that need to become a little more ritualistic.  here is what i’d like my morning rituals to be.  which, i hope will also turn into habit.

30 minute walk before kids get up (this is a stretch but who knows, i believe in impossible things)

read my bible + write

and if i really become a morning person . . . answer a few e-mails.

this involves coffee, of course.  and hopefully a super healthy smoothie to follow.

do you have a morning ritual or routine?  how did you go about getting in the habit of it?

here is to transitions, rituals and routines and not being hard on ourselves when we can’t keep them all of time.

and if i’ve been good at sticking to the routine or making a new ritual (or just surviving the first week of school) than you can be sure to find me getting my fingers good and sticky at cinnabon.  i’ve been craving one for 4 years.  i’m not even kidding.

image : jukavo

• Lindsay
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 8:32am

It’s so hard sometimes to commit to a routine. Before I had kids, I would wake up at 4:45am, have my coffee, check a few emails and then go for a run on the beach before heading off to work. I felt soooo fortunate to see the sunrise every morning as I panted and sweat and ran my tail off. But this mom thing is not for the faint of heart. I’m so tired now! Go a bit easier on yourself. Eventually a new routine will find you, as you have more time and energy to use on yourself.

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 9:46am

@Lindsay, running by the beach (ok, just looking at the beach) sounds so divine. and boy do you have it right. the mom thing is not for the faint of heart. and there are always new twists and turns with it. but you are right… it’s best to be easier on ourselves. i’m learning that too! hope you find some time walking, running or gazing at the beach (take a glimpse for me too). xo .t

• Kyndi
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 9:19am

My mind has been in the same place! Here’s to renewed practices!

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 9:46am

@Kyndi, yes! cheers to that! i love the work practice too…. it takes the pressure off you know….. practicing is practicing! xo . t

• julia
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 10:18am

hmm. I can definitely relate. If the kids sleep well I’m all for getting up early and reading my Bible. But on the off days we run late and everything is off. Until I drink coffee at least. I look forward to school season where we have some routine. But I admit I’ve never been great with routine, I’d like to think that is due to creativity ;)

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 10:27pm

yes…. creativity ;) i love when my kiddies sleep in … so much can get done :) xo . t

• Jessica
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 2:06pm

I have a hard time with getting into a routine concerning my Bible reading but I am working on that.

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 10:26pm

i’m not always the best …. lately i’ve been using the bible app and reading the verse or chapter first thing for the day. it’s a start. xo . t

• Ahndea May
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 2:44pm

I am currently sitting in one of the twins rooms so that she won’t get out of her crib for the 100th time during nap! I love routine and am disciplined to do it but all the unexpected interruptions make it so very difficult to keep my sanity right now! My alarm is set for 6:00am during the school week, I get up get the big kids ready while feeding the twins breakfast and then the folders and papers and lunches and woosh their gone…. but I am not alone… in fact just the opposite and trying to figure out that routine may take some time!!!

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 10:25pm

i know the feeling….. i think if you do like routine, when you can’t stick to it’s hard. and with multiple little ones, always sticking to a routine is next to impossible. hope you are hanging in there with the crazy school schedule. xo . t

• Grace
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 5:43pm

Change and transition are difficult for me as well, even positive change…. Always takes me a bit to adjust. Enjoyed reading your words as I’ve been thinking of similar things lately and making plans for getting back to old routines, making new rituals. Thinking about looking into your products for washing my face. It definitely feels like a chore for me ;). Always love your beautiful photos!

• Trina
    Commented on August 26th, 2013 at 10:20pm

totally am the same about change…good and bad. thank you for the kind words and i seriously have been enjoying washing my face… i’m kinda in shock myself ;) xo . t