New York

Do you ever just pretend?  You know, like you are somebody else or at least just living somewhere else.  I do, but it shouldn’t be any surprise as my imagination tends to be on the overactive side (in good and bad ways).  Usually, it’s when I’m reading a book or watching a movie, I get a little lost in the character, the set, the plot and find myself right there in the middle of it all.

This past weekend while we were in New York celebrating our anniversary and visiting dear friends, I did just that.  I imagined, envisioned, and made mental pictures of myself living in a big city.  And of course, not just myself but my lovely (not so) little brood.  Could we do it?  Would we survive?  What would life look like?  I took in so many details, as I always like to do. My eyes scanning and searching the layers beyond the surface.  This time it wasn’t just the buildings, the fashion, the food, and the palpable creative drive that seems to permiate the air.  This time, I watched families, children, everyday life, the coming, the going and those unnoticed in between moments that are often unseen and overlooked or deemed unimportant.  I found those moments to be the telling ones.

I  can’t say I have come to a conclusion on whether or not I could or could not do it.  And I suppose, a conclusion is not really necessary, as all of this thinking and imagining is theortical.  But, I like to know what I’m capable of and if I had to or even wanted to, would I survive?  Yes, is the answer to that, but would we thrive and be able to take on a such a foreign way of living?

These kinds of trips, which are usually meant for fun, always end up meaning so much more.  There is a deeper meaning to everything, at least always in my mind.  I’m grateful for the thoughts, the conversations, the learning, and the possibilities.

As for what we did, it kind of went like this….Thursday night I stopped by the Rue Turns Two party.  Then we hopped on over to an event for Q Ideas which was held in Tom’s NYC showroom (which was beyond cool).  I loved meeting new like minded friends that are brilliant in the industries they work in.

After that, we had a great time with our friends and pretty much shopped and ate our way through New York.  And although, I now probably need to exercise for a week straight…I wouldn’t have done it any other way.

Here is a list of places we went, which I would, without a doubt, recommend:

Hudson Clearwater – this place is like a secret garden.  it seriously took us awhile to even find the entrance.  so good and such a great atmosphere.

Magnolia Bakery – it had to be done.  and yes, it is a good as they say.

Co. –  for pizza.  probably the best pizza crust i’ve ever had.

Shake Shack – i could have eaten this every day.  and i’ve been thinking about it every day since.

Le Pain Quotidien – bread. croissants. tartines.  perfect for a quick bite.

Sarahbeth’s – lovely for breakfast and known for their jams.

Our last night we saw the Broadway show, Once.  The music was insane and the story is the kind that sticks with you.

I love this last shot on the flight home.  It looks like all sky, but really its where the air meets water (sky + Lake Michigan).

*Tomorrow I’m sharing some photos from a shop in NYC that totally inspired me.

images from la la Lovely Instagram.

• Ashlyn@Pinecone
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 11:50am

We moved to upstate NY last year which I wasn’t too excited about. The upside is getting to go to NYC quite often. I have lists for days of new places to hit the “next” time we go. Shake Shack is addicting for sure ; )
    Your photos are fab – need to add Co. to my list!
    xo

• Trina
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 1:59pm

Always look for the upside right? That was a big move – I thought I remember you being in the Northwest (could be way wrong). Hope you are starting to feel more settled! You will love Co. It was so good. xo . trina

• Kyndi
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 12:41pm

So great to meet you! Did you happen to be trying on shoes at Matt Bernson, Tribeca?

• Trina
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 2:01pm

It was so great meeting you too! And hope to hang out next time I’m in town. I know it’s terrible but I forgot the name of the store. It was in Tribeca. I think down the same street or one over from Hugh Jackman’s coffee shop. They had super cute shoes! I loved Tribeca! xo . trina

• Kelly
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 1:25pm

any details on the polka dot shirt?

and it looks like a fabulous trip. I love, love nyc and often fantasize about moving there. We have three kids though and live in the midwest and it would be a huge change.

• Trina
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 1:57pm

Hi Kelly….I’m with you, 4 kids and living in the midwest but it is fun to think about, for sure! xo . trina – oh, the shirt is from J.Crew. I bought it this summer.

• Dominique
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 2:05pm

LOVED the movie Once!!! Truly unforgettable and the music is almost haunting. Will for sure keep an eye out for the show when it comes to L.A. Great pictures as always. Your blog is one of my favs. xoxo

• Trina
    Commented on September 24th, 2012 at 10:13am

Thank you so much. And you are so right….in fact, I almost typed used the word “hautning” in my post. I love music, books anything that is haunting in that sense! xo . trina

• Calico Child
    Commented on September 18th, 2012 at 4:31pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Trina it all looked so lovely I so want to visit NY!! :)

• Tracey
    Commented on September 19th, 2012 at 4:47am

So.much.fun.

Wish i was there! Ilove the sky shot. I’d be printing that one for my bedroom wall! x

• Trina
    Commented on September 24th, 2012 at 10:12am

Good idea. I love that photo …it’s so soothing. Hope you are well, dear! xo . t

• Val
    Commented on September 20th, 2012 at 2:45pm

aww look at you two, lovebirds :) Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!

• GUEST POST // Trina of la la lovely |
    Commented on October 10th, 2012 at 10:01am

[…] And although, lately, I’ve been dreaming of living in a busier city or near the ocean blue, I’m at least thankful that I am not far from the Windy City!  And […]