fave friday + mommy blogs

fave-friday_la-la-lovely

i’ve been wandering around words all week.  devouring them and now trying to find a place for them to go.

the words that have made my week, likely month, is that LA LA LOVEY was  featured in the NEW YORK TIMES.  i was interviewed a few months back and it is pretty great to see the piece come together and in print.  i’m a huge proponent of print and i come from a newspaper family (ink is the blood), so to me, this pretty exciting.

but, beyond my excitement, the article, Mommy Blog or Glossy Fashion Magazine?,  is really interesting.  a conversation, if you will.  the piece talks about the different waves of mommy blogs and that these days they are looking more like glossy mags as opposed to originally being a place for family updates and confessional rantings.  the piece includes some of my favorite bloggers and some new to me blogs, that i can’t wait to add to my reading list.

“balance,” the word that can’t escape most of our minds and conversations is mentioned by Violet Gaynor of The Glow (one of my faves) and her thoughts on the sticky subject are,  “ It’s not about having it all, but having as much as you can all at once.”  would you agree?

in any case, it is is a honor to be listed among these ladies and to make the paper.  you can read the full article here.

AND . . . i’m curious, do you consider la la lovely a mommy blog?

i have to say, i never considered myself a mommy blogger or la la lovely a mommy blog.  i’ve always considered myself a lifesyle blogger with a bent towards decor and design.  lately, i find photos of my little ones sneaking in more and writing posts that pertain to matters of life.  it’s life for me and i’m just capturing it and including it, i suppose.  i’m not a fan of labels, but i’d love to know what type of blog you’d label or shall we say catorgize la la as?  and thank you…. thank you for reading, commenting and joining the conversation and making this space what it is.

NOW, if you like words than i have to tell you about the words that are haunting me….that made me cry.

(and some links for your weekend)

i just finished reading the paris wife and i just can’t shake it.

you guys, i cried at the end of the book.  i’ve never cried at the end of a book, like that.  i feel like my mind is trapped in the 20’s with these writers and i just have to know more.  i’ve seen midnight in paris, yes, but i have to watch it again.  i saw gatsby last week and now this book.  i hate to admit i’ve never read hemingway, but now i must.  i didn’t know the story of his life and although the book is fiction it is based on facts and is supposed to be pretty right on.  the book is written in the voice of hemingway’s first wife, hadley, in their early years of marriage in paris, where it all begin.  i knew he had a mistress so i knew there had to be heartache but i didn’t know anything else about his life.  her life.  their life.  it’s just one of those books where i felt so connected to the character that i just felt it all in such a big way.  i’m going to try for A Moveable Feast.  it was hemingway’s last book and sort of a memoir of his young years in paris, starting out as a writer with hadley.  in it he wrote, “i wished i had died before i ever loved anyone but her.”  sigh.  i haven’t read the book yet but i have a feeling him writing it was his way of making ammends with hadley and his past.  i’m sure after the hemingway’s i may be moving on to the fitzgerald’s.  i just heard the book  Z : A Novel for Zelda Fitzgerald is supposed to be great.  All of these people where such characters themselves.  thats the thing of it.  although, i have to say hadley didn’t feel like a character at all,  she felt real.  like a good friend.  or a sister.  and maybe that is why she won’t leave me alone.

A FEW OF MY FAVES  THIS WEEK +
01 /  are you a goal getter?
02 /  ok, girls, this video is hilarious and sadly true.
03 /  i’m loving the layers of this cozy, bohemian space.
04 /  the healthiest cookies i’ve ever made + over ate this week.
05 / a new (to me) blog i’m hoping to peruse this weekend.

FOR MORE  LOVELY + Inspiration : PINTEREST / Chatter :  TWITTER / Conversation : FACEBOOK / Pictures : INSTAGRAM

• Mary
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 11:36am

First of all, congrats on the NYT article. Very cool. I wouldn’t describe you as a Mommy Blogger, and I quite frankly don’t even like that term at all. I wouldn’t know how to classify my own blog either. Lifestyle blog is probably the best catch-all, since I can’t think of a better one.

Now to Paris in the 1920s….I’m so with you! I loved The Paris Wife, and I finished Z last week. I am currently reading A Moveable Feast right now! I may go back and re-read Gatsby after that. Fascinating characters in a beautiful city during an interesting time. Awesome.

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:19pm

thank you so much. lifestyle is such a great term…right! i love hearing from everyone else that is just as fascinated as me! i think i’ll try a moveable feast and then z. did you love z? xo .t

• Vaida
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 12:09pm

first – congrats to you! if I would be a journalist of some particular magazine or newspaper – i would definitely mentioning you out there. your blog is amazing. has something so special, and so warm.
    that’s how I could probably describe it. a blog about all things light and warm. so touching!
    and yep. hemingway -he’s been always one of my favourites. read few of his books ages ago. ‘Man and the Sea’ , ‘To whom the bells tolls’.. were great! haven’t read ‘The Paris wife’ but will definitely do! Loved the film “Midnight in Paris’ though! And let me mention another great writer, who goes in the same vibe quite well.. Erich Maria Remarque. Don’t know if you read anything of his, or heard about him.. either way – you should. If You love Hemingway, you will love this man as well. ‘Three Friends’ is a book which blew me away. Literally. I cried for the whole night. And it built me as a person, as much as ‘Little Prince’ did. Books. I love them! and I love, that I found your blog. So glad!
    And actually, have mentioned your blog in my Today’s Post. Have a look, if you’re interested. http://www.donttellanyone.net
    All the Best!
    X

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:22pm

vaida – thank you so much for your kind words. it is lovely to be described as light, warm and touching. thank you! and thank you so much for sharing your fave hemingway books. and thank you also for letting me know about Erich Maria Memarque. will def check him out. thank you again for the mention on your blog! that was so sweet. and def….read the paris wife.. you will love it! xo . t

• Jen
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 12:28pm

Yes! I am right there with you! I read the Paris Wife and A Moveable Feast last year and they were both enthralling. Hadley put up with so much. After watching Gatsby I decided it was time to learn more about the Fitzgerald’s and read Z and Nancy Milford’s Zelda. Z follows Zelda very closely from a first person perspective and then fictionalizes some of the encounters we don’t know like why there was always animosity between Zelda and Hemingway. Their lives were incredibly intriguing and hauntingly short. Now its time to go back and read some of their actual novels that I haven’t read since university!

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:17pm

i see you have the bug like me too…. i guess this will be my summer reading list :) i’m def curious to learn about the animosity between zelda and hemingway but it seems like he had issues with a lot of people. xo . t

• JEN RAMOS
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 1:24pm

i dont think you’re a mommy blogger….most of your posts are about lifestyle, which I love! Congrats on NYT!

Madebygirl.blogspot.com
    MadeByGirl.com

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:06pm

thanks, so much, Jen. it’s great getting other’s perspective. hope you are well! xo . t

• Jessica
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 1:31pm

Congrats on the article!

Personally, I started following you because of your decor posts, but I enjoy all your posts; for example, I am definitely going to have to check out The Paris Wife now!

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:06pm

thank you :) i promise, the paris wife won’t disappoint. xo . t

• Nancie Nelson Bartly
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 1:44pm

Definitely not just a mommy blog, more of a lifestyle blog.
    I just re-read Gatsby myself. Totally in love with Hemingway, can’t believe you haven’t read him. Sch an interesting time period.
    Congrats on the article. Once I get back to civilization, I’ll have to read it. In the woods of Colorado right now with limited Internet and just an iPad. Aggl! , next to impossible to blog on an IPad!

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:04pm

i shouldn’t admit this but i don’t think i’ve read gatsby either. i’m pretty sure i had to in college and kind of just watched the movie. it’s on my reading list, now too. thank you for the kind words. i can’t blog from iPad either…but hey, enjoy the internet free time and beautiful colorado! xo . t

• Cheryl G.
    Commented on June 14th, 2013 at 5:53pm

I don’t really like the term Mommy blogger either! Even though I am a Mommy. Well, really, I’m a Mom, Grandmother, and Wife. My baby is nearly 20.He is Autistic and SchizoAffective and will always seem to be endlessly around 8 to 10 years old inside. Even though he is tall, handsome, and can grow a full beard and hates to shave (he is often proud he looks like the gold prospector that he wants to be but shaving is a hassle and actually scares him a bit. He’d rather not have me help him but has on occasion asked me to). Even I, am much more than those titles that I love to be.
    I do love your blog and it is one of many that I love to frequently read and look at.
    Now I want to read The Paris Wife. I’ve seen it in bookstores that I love to wander and smell but I had never actually heard about it before today.
    I love Midnight in Paris too and thought to study Hemingway and the Fitzgerald’s (although, I’m sure I’ve read at least one of those books in High School) before but now with just the few paragraphs you wrote and the intriguing way in which you did. I must.
    Congratulations on the article! What an honor!

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 3:03pm

cheryl…thank you for your comment. we have many roles as women…don’t we? it sounds like you are a wonderful mother!
    thank you for your kind comments about the blog. and you def should read The Paris Wife. I promise you’ll love it! xo . t

• Kate
    Commented on June 16th, 2013 at 1:43pm

I am in my early twenties and don’t have kids, and don’t find your blog a ‘mommy blog’. Even if you do feature your family now and then, I find your description perfect when you say it’s about design and decor, with a little bit of fashion and beauty. Keep up the great work!

xo

• Trina
    Commented on June 17th, 2013 at 2:28pm

thanks, kate! xo

• Lucy
    Commented on August 5th, 2013 at 3:48pm

Wow, I just found your blog through pinterest. I bookmarked it. I don’t do that often!! Love going through your photos and pinning for ideas to a house I’m getting ready to build and even remodeling the house I live in now! When I saw The Paris Wife in the photo above, I had to see what you were saying about it. I felt the EXACT SAME WAY! I am consumed with all things Paris and 1920’s. You have inspired me to pick up A Moveable Feast. I wanted him to realize what he had in Hadley. He knew all along, but being the writer that he was, he needed to live different lives in order to write the masterpieces he’s known for. I, too, had never read any of his books.Thanks for this post and congrats on making the NYT! I wouldn’t call your blog a Mommy Blog, but it’s nice to see the pictures of family every once in a while!

• Trina
    Commented on August 6th, 2013 at 10:14am

thank you for your kind words! and i’m so glad someone else feels the same about the hemmingway’s. it’s kind of haunting. thanks, for following along! xo . t